Medical Staff Coordinator at Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center
Our short application process takes less than 5 minutes on your phone, tablet or computer.
Interview with Jim Heckert, CEO of Gerald Champion Memorial Hospital:
The Significant Role of Medical Staff Coordinator
About the Position
The Medical Staff Coordinator is the owner of the credentialing process for Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center. As such, the individual is the primary point of contact for all credentialing activities. The manager coordinates all medical staff activities and acts as liaison between the medical staff, allied health professional staff and administration within the parameters established by the administrator and officers of the medical staff. While we would ideally find someone locally, we are open to relocation assistance for the right candidate.
The position is responsible for credentialing of all applicable positions within the hospital. As such, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provides copies of Medical Staff/AHP applications and all supporting documents such as licenses, DEA, Controlled Substance Registration, etc. to Director of the White Sands Community Health Plan
- Respond to requests for verification of affiliation of Medical Staff/Allied Health Professional Staff to other hospitals, corporations, HMOs and/or CVOs.
- Queries the National Practitioner Data Bank, the Medicare/Medicaid Sanctions Data Bank, the American Medical Association Data Bank, and all required specialty boards of Medical Staff members applying for privileges at our facility.
- Develops and implements systems which allow for the flow of information to and from medical staff committees into the performance improvement structure.
- Maintains close communication with Medical Staff Officers, Department Chief’s, Committee Chairpersons, Chief Quality Officer, and Medical Director to ensure follow-through on all recommendations, correspondence, and/or directives that are documented in committee meeting minutes.
- Maintains a system to remind the Chief of Staff, Medical Director, Department Chief’s and the Chief Quality Officer when Bylaws and Rules and Regulations have to be reviewed. Types revisions and distributes.
- Creates, maintains, and updates Doctors’ Master Files on the AS400 system.
- Oversees the credentialing process and looks for ways to improve the process and guides others who assist in the credentialing process.
- The position may also be responsible for assistance with special meetings and special events as needed. The core of the job is owning the credentialing process for the hospital.
The Ideal Candidate for Medical Staff Coordinator Role
Part 1 of the interview with Jim Heckert, CEO - GCRMC
- Associate Degree, Bachelors degree (or equivalent experience) required with background in healthcare preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in credentialing a variety of roles, preferably within a hospital setting.
- Current American Heart – HeartSaver or Basic Life Support (BLS) card.
- Certification Preferred*: Certification through the National Association Medical Staff Services, Certified Professional Medical Services Manager (CPMSM) or Certified Provider Credentialing Specialist (CPCS). CPMSP is preferred. (*If the individual does not have a certification, they must be willing to begin the process and obtain one once hired.)
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and is able to work with all hospital staff in order to successfully execute responsibilities
- Be proficient in computer applications such as Windows, MS Office (MS Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, and Access). MS Outlook, medical staff specific software and other software as applicable.
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Dental/Vision Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Aflac Supplemental Insurance
- Relocation Assistance
- 401K matching
- Direct Deposit
- Generous PLT (Paid Leave Time)
- Major Medical Bank (Paid Sick Time)
- Holiday Pay
- Rewards and Recognition
- Eligibility to Qualify for the Daisy Award
- Merit Increases/Evaluations
- Clinical Ladder
- Referral bonus
- Long service bonus
- Holiday parties
- Free meal in the cafeteria
- Employee of the Month
- Employee Assistance Program
- Retail Discounts for Employees
About Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center
Since 1948, Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center (GCRMC) has been a healthcare leader for the citizens of Otero County. Our mission is simple. We want to be the organization where patients choose to come for care, physicians want to practice, and people want to work. Ultimately, we want to be South Central New Mexico’s leading provider of affordable, high-quality healthcare. At GCRMC, we provide an environment for our employees that encourages innovation and dedication, via a participative management system and one that correlates performance and rewards.
GCRMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer that welcomes and encourages diversity in the workplace.